Wednesday, March 19, 2014

I Love The Rain


THE lyrics of one of my favourite songs includes the line: "Only know you love her when you let her go."
I am sure I do not need to tell you the title of the song, whose melody is simple yet infectious, and whose lyrics beautifully reflect life.
Last Saturday, Johor folk saw the rain again, if only for a little while. I'm not sure which parts of the state but in Johor Baru, where my office is, the sight, sound and smell of rain really made everyone's day, even though it was only for a very short while.
After all, it hadn't rained for about three months.
The fact that it started to rain after the long dry spell made us realise how we tend to take things for granted.
How we waste water when we wash our cars, or just let water leaks go unattended without any urgency to repair it.
Regarding the latter, there is a water leak in Susur 1, Jalan Tun Abdul Razak, which has been left unattended for months. I wouldn't be surprised if it is still leaking.
Fortunately, Johor did not have a water crisis, with the exception of Kluang where the residents' water supply came from the Sembrong Timur treatment centre.
Syarikat Air Johor Holdings (SAJ) had to introduce scheduled water supply exercises for the 150,000 residents there.
The move was implemented after the water level at the Semborang Timur river dipped to 0.2m, which was below the critical level of 0.5m.
The low level affected the output for the Southern Water Corporation treatment plant there.
The Semborang Timur Dam even went to as low as 0.1m at one time.
Some non-governmental organisations tried to help out by supplying water channelled from higher ground, and distributing the water to the villagers using a private tanker.
However, SAJ said this was not advisable as the water was not treated and could pose a threat to one's health or skin condition.
Then, on Sunday, it poured.
I usually carry an umbrella with me wherever I go but, due to the dry spell, I forgot to bring one when I went out that day, and so was caught in the rain.
However, I was happy and thankful for the rain.
A friend of mine who had been posted to Saudi Arabia told me that in that country, it's not only the children that come out and play in the rain. It seemed to him that people of all ages there would rejoice whenever it rained.
He said he had even come across people in Saudi Arabia who would stop their vehicles and get out just to touch the rain.
I have never been to Saudi Arabia, but I have heard about the dry spell in that country.
Last Monday, it rained again in Johor Baru. And again, as I am writing this. It is raining cats and dogs.
Now, instead of drought, one would be checking if there is any flash flood at flood prone areas.
In case you're still wondering about the title of the song, it is Let Her Go, by Passengers.

Read more: When rain brings about rejoicing - Johor - New Straits Times http://www.nst.com.my/streets/johor/when-rain-brings-about-rejoicing-1.520143#ixzz2wMflyyUD

1 comment:

  1. Nice song and good to see the rain again.

    Sudirman fan

    ReplyDelete