Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Edward Kollmer

Edward Kollmer, 44, is the general manager of Thistle Johor Bahru.


By Chuah Bee Kim

WHEN I am working, I don't perceive work as work. That is how much I enjoy my role. I strive to make improvements, big and small, as I believe there is always room for improvement. When I'm not at work, you will probably find me enjoying a game of golf. I also love travelling, as I find it is not only a form of recreation but also something that is educational.

I travel to London, my home base, four or five times a year. When I was growing up in Dublin, Ireland, my father owned a fine-dining restaurant. I helped out in the restaurant from the age of 6 till when I was about 16.


This was really tough as you can imagine. The business was very successful and I learned a lot, especially how to work hard and be part of something successful.

I graduated from Shannon College of Hotel Management and during the course, I worked in London. I then spent a year in Switzerland.

A scholarship from Cornell University enabled me to complete a Master's degree from the University of Buckingham in the United Kingdom.

Since then, I went on to work in numerous hotels and held many roles and business responsibilities before joining Thistle Hotels and Resorts in the UK in 2006.

Two years ago, I came to Thistle Johor Bahru and I must say that I am very proud of the fact that Johor Baru is a city that is currently experiencing rapid growth.

There is so much I can do here. I want Thistle to maintain its status as one of the leading hotels here. We are currently working with several government, corporate sectors and tourism boards to attract more tourists to Johor Baru.

With our continuous efforts in conducting "Our World Class Way" training for the entire team and extending the warm southern charm and Malaysian hospitality, it gives our guests a sense of feeling of being at home.

The past two years were exceptional years for Thistle Johor Bahru, the best ever.

I see this year as another splendid one as it is Visit Malaysia Year 2014 and we are seeing more business and leisure tourists from Singapore, Hong Kong and Indonesia.

The Malaysian greeting of placing one's hand over the heart, for example, is such a warm gesture and you will see the entire team doing that here. It truly reflects the Malaysian hospitality and guests usually reciprocate the same way.


Johor Baru has much to offer tourists, especially with the new development in Iskandar Malaysia and the Legoland Malaysia theme park. This motivates us all to ensure that we are at the centre of transformation.



No comments:

Post a Comment