Saturday, November 2, 2013

In the woods


My Foot
Exploring Gunung Pulai



On my days off, I normally head to the nearest shopping mall for my regular dose of retail therapy. I love shopping.

But today, as the Indian community celebrates Deepavali and it is a public holiday in Malaysia, I followed some friends to Gunung Pulai, a 654-metre high hill in the Kulaijaya district, Johor.

We went to Gunung Pulai via Pekan Nanas in Pontian.


A breath of fresh air greeted me as soon as I stepped into the recreation forest. The soft rustling of leaves and gushing sounds of a waterfall became a stolen moment for this urban dweller.  I must have walked some five kilometres going up the laterite path of the hill, where some parts were quite steep, and strolling down again passing by all the friendly faces.



Friendly Hikers
A group of friendly hikers that crossed my path.

I think it is only at Gunung Pulai that one would come across such friendly hikers. Actually, I don't go hiking all that much. And I am genuinely surprised to see almost everyone I met today wearing a smile on their faces, and they'd say "Good Morning" or "Hello" as they pass by.I really love this place. I wonder if trekkers and hikers elsewhere practise this contagious culture.

Some of the regular hikers told me that the path can be quite slippery during the rainy season.  So, do tread carefully.


Cool Stream
The water's cool and refreshing.

I also came across a monkey, who wasn't exactly friendly but he seemed so used to being around homo sapiens.
Monkey
A monkey minding its own business.

Being a hiking novice, I experienced pain on the upper part of my right leg.

But I am definitely looking forward to coming back here and perhaps check out other green lungs of Johor and elsewhere.

On our way back, we bought some durians in Pekan Nanas selling at RM5 per kg.  I took home 3 for RM22.

Kampung Durian
Durian selling at RM5 per kg.

 

Happy Deepavali....!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment