Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Oh, my gourd!



Kampung Gourd
A very long gourd.

Today's a pretty fine day.  I came across this gourd in the backyard of a house in Kampung Melayu Majidee, Johor Baru.  The owner said she first noticed the gourd about a month ago, and it was growing at an amazing rate.

I was so excited when I saw it.  After all, I am an urban dweller.  I showed a picture of the gourd to my friend, who grew up in a kampung and she said it was quite a common sight, nothing to get excited about.

 
A friend read my post about eating rice with durian and became curious.  I said to her: "Come over to my house and try it."  And she did. I'm elated.

After the meal, she said she didn't quite like the taste, but she enjoyed the company though.  It's ok.  When another friend of mine first tried this dish several years ago, she didn't quite like it.  Now she loves to tuck into a meal of durian with rice.

Meanwhile, enjoy this beautiful song by Kyu Sakamoto (1941 - 1985).

Have a good day everyone. And drive safe if you're on the road.



.

No comments:

Post a Comment