Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Defenders of Dogs



Malaysia Independent Animal Rescue (MIAR) founder and president Puspa Rani was in Johor Baru today. MIAR was one of the 4 non-governmental organizations that  had lodged a police report against the Johor Baru Central Municipal Council (MPJBT) over the video.

Please go to my earlier post http://ardentindulgence.blogspot.com/2014/06/black-monday.html if you have yet to watch the video.

She is pictured above talking to representatives of the Department of Veterinary Services (DVS).  Puspa says no dog catcher is permitted to kill a stray as only a certified vet is allowed to do so because only a vet would know the drug dosage if death is to be from lethal injection.

It was learnt the MPJBT doesn't have a vet.

"So how were the strays in Johor killed all this while?"


Puspa seen here with JB SPCA chairman Ranjeet Singh.  The other 2 NGOs that lodged a police report against MPJBT today were Companion Animal Rescue Effort Society (Cares) and Petpositive.

Apart from the NGOs, some 15 individuals also lodged reports. One of the individuals was G. Suhanthan, who witnessed the incident and recorded it before uploading it onto Facebook.

Puspa said the matter could be investigated under Section 428 and 429 of the penal code for cruelty to animals.Theoffender, if convicted, faces a fine not exceeding RM500 or jail up to five years, or both.

Since the video clip was uploaded, MIAR has received numerous emails and some 30 reports have been lodged nationwide so far, according to Puspa.

Meanwhile, CARES founder and chairman Joseph Chia told me that there has been complaints of dog catchers entering houses to seize pets.  Chia said that although the local council has the right to do that, he appeals to them to be merciful.

"A warning should have been issued first before taking the pets from their homes," Chia said.

Meanwhile, I want to clarify something here. Someone has been going around telling people that I have 4 dogs at a dog shelter. I have told him time and again that those were not my dogs. I stumbled upon four adorable puppies playing by the roadside a few years ago.

My heart went out to them but I didn't take them immediately. The next day I went back to see if the dogs were still there, and they were.  I always believed that all dogs should have a home filled with love. At that time I didn't know much about dog shelters yet. At that time I only knew that I couldn't leave these 4 young dogs to fend for themselves on the street.

So I took them to a vet before sending them to a shelter. My dogs are still with me and they are all mongrels. The 4 that I sent to the shelter were Shar Pei or maybe mixed breeds. Why would I send away the branded breed and keep the mongrels?

More about my mongrel dogs in another post. I hope this man would stop telling everyone that I didn't want my dogs anymore. 


No comments:

Post a Comment