Thursday, July 10, 2014

Blur

My favourite blogger Annie started her blog post Friends calling herself  "blur".

I don't think anyone can beat me in that department.  Shortly after leaving my house this morning for work, I suddenly realised I didn't bring my press kit.  I went back home.  Luckily I had just started my journey.  As soon as I went into the house, I saw the press kit and beside the press kit was my hangbag.

If I didn't remember my press kit, I probably would have to "puasa" for the rest of the day.

Speaking of puasa, I'm attending a special "buka puasa" gathering tonight.  It's not only the breaking of fast for my Muslim friends, it is also to bid farewell to two workmates.  More on that in another post.

Meanwhile, my story on stray cats saw print today in the Johor Streets.


JOHOR BARU: Stray cats are getting a taste of the spirit of sharing as feline lovers feed them near the Taman Perling Ramadan bazaar close to the Taman Perling wet market here every night.

  "There are many kind-hearted souls among the local community here.  There is an elderly couple who bring food to the strays quite regularly, and it is not only during the Ramadan month," said veterinarian Dr Edwin Singam.

  Dr Singam, who is also the deputy chairman of the Johor Baru Society for Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (SPCA), said every evening, the stray cats would converge in the area knowing that people who come to the Ramadan Bazaar will give them some food.

  Dr Singam said the non-governmental organisations such as Noah's Ark Natural Animal Sanctuary (NANAS) and the SPCA have been picking up cats here to neutering them to curb the stray population.

  "As most animal shelters are already full, we put the strays back into the streets while we try to organise adoption campaigns.

  "Our campaigns have been quite successful.  In the last adoption campaign that was held in KipMart Tampoi, 50 stray cats found new homes," he said.

  Dr Singam said this was the best way to help the strays.

  "There must be other alternatives besides killing them.  But we need dedicated volunteers.  Volunteers who will collect the strays from the streets, send them for neutering, and help to find homes for them," he said.

  Siti Nurhayati Bakar, 35, a mother of three, said she understood the suffering of hunger, especially in the month of Ramadan.

  "As we Muslims fast, we know what it is like to go hungry.  These cats do not ask to be strays.
  "They already do not have a home with guardians to love and care for them.  They are deprived of food.  The worst thing a human can do is to harm them," Siti Nurhayati said.

No comments:

Post a Comment