Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Yanti's Tailor-Made For Success

By Chuah Bee Kim

Pic by Nur Aisyah Mazalan

MERSING: WHAT started as a hobby is now business for Yanti Suhaila Abu Samah.

She started out by sewing beads on her own blouse. When Yanti wore her beaded blouse to a function, a friend who saw her work, asked her to adorn the latter’s scarf with beads as well, and paid RM50 for it.

The incident inspired Yanti, 26, who has a degree in architecture, to start designing her own scarves and shawls and adorn them with lace or beads.

Four years ago, she started selling her scarves and shawls online and attracted customers from Brunei and Singapore.

Buoyed by the success of her online venture, Yanti decided to open a physical boutique early this year.

Her Kuntum Boutique is in Kampung Makam here.

“My customers want their scarves and shawls to be made to match their attire,” said Yanti .

“Most of my customers are locals who are looking for quality products and the latest fashion.

“I like to work with satin, chiffon and crepe as they are soft and graceful and comfortable when worn.

“The most sought-after among my scarves and shawls are those made using chiffon,” she said.

“Chiffon is quite difficult to work with because it is lightweight and slippery.

“My scarves are different from what is available in the market as I adorn them with lace or beads, or both. I want my brand Kuntum to be exclusive and in keeping with the times,” she said.

Yanti said she has always encouraged others to be entrepreneurs.

“I also offer franchising opportunities and I am also looking for dealers of my products,” she added.

In conjunction with Hari Raya, Yanti has created a collection of scarves and shawls.

For details, call 017-312 0290017-312 0290.

No comments:

Post a Comment