Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Fairer Chance Before Pontius Pilate



JOHOR BARU: FORMER Johor DAP deputy chairman Norman Fernandez said he would have a fairer chance before Pontius Pilate, the Roman governor who had Jesus crucified, than at DAP’s disciplinary committee.

Fernandez quit his party membership after the party leadership voted on Saturday to refer him to a disciplinary panel over his Facebook posts, which they deemed compromising to the party’s image.

“There is no way they are going to give me a fair hearing.”

Fernandez pointed out that during the meeting on Saturday, non-commitee members of the state DAP leaders, namely Liow Cai Tung (Johor Jaya assemblyman), Cheo Yee How (Pengkalan Rinting) and Yeo Tung Siong (Pekan Nanas) cast votes to refer him to the disciplinary panel.

He said although DAP supremo Lim Kit Siang did not vote, his presence at the meeting was enough to cause detriment.

“There is growing hypocrisy among DAP leaders. I have been searching my conscience for some time, possibly before the last general election, and I don’t want to be part of a party that has become subservient to Pas,” he said in reference to DAP’s and Pas’ alliance in the opposition coalition.
Fernandez said he was not planning to join Gerakan as speculated by certain quarters.

“The thought never crossed my mind, and the speculation probably came about because I support multi culturalism.”

Fernandez, who blogs at Normanfernandez.blogspot.com, said he refrained from blogging for the past 3 ½ years because of the fear of antagonising DAP.

However, now that he was just a member of the public, Fernandez said he would start blogging again.
Fernandez served as the Johor deputy chairman for one term.


Some additional info where Fernandez, who joined DAP officially in 1996, also told me that he started supporting DAP when he was 11.
  "At the age of 16, I was already helping out the party wherever and whenever I can.  When Lim Kit Siang's first book "Time Bombs in Malaysia" came out in 1978, I saved 20 sen of my pocket money everyday until it reached RM10 to buy the book."

No comments:

Post a Comment